Rory McIlroy discusses 2011 Masters Tournament collapse | 2021 Masters Skip to main content
Breaking news
 
R4   
T3 Jordan Spieth   -7 F
T5 Jon Rahm   -6 F
    Full Leaderboard
R4NameTotalThru
1 Hideki Matsuyama -10 F
2 Will Zalatoris -9 F
T3 Jordan Spieth -7 F
Full leaderboard »
Posted April 3, 2012, 10:20 am
BY |

Rory McIlroy discusses 2011 Masters Tournament collapse

 

During his press conference this morning inside the media building at Augusta National Golf Club, Rory McIlroy reached down to stifle the noise in his pocket.

As he answered questions, his cell phone started chiming. There is a strict no cell phone policy on the course.

“Sorry,” McIlroy said. “No phones at Augusta.”

McIlroy answered questions about his 2011 Masters Tournament meltdown, when he led by four shots after 54 holes. McIlroy hit an errant tee shot at No. 10 and began a freefall. He shot 80 and eventually lost by 10 shots to Charl Schwartzel. McIlroy said a phone call from three-time Masters runner-up Greg Norman helped him overcome the loss.

“I think it was great coming from him,” McIlroy said. “He was sort of in the same position. ... He’s had some experience of that before. I’m sure he knew how it felt.

“That was big for me. It was great to get a phone call from him.”

McIlroy won the U.S. Open two months after his Masters collapse, and this year he won the Honda Classic to become No. 1 in the world. He fell to No. 2 when Luke Donald won in Tampa last month.

McIlroy didn’t say who called him during the press conference. Afterward, Masters official Ron Townsend kidded with McIlroy.

“We’re going to need that phone,” Townsend joked.