Plenty of Eisenhower reminders exist
The Eisenhower Tree no longer exists, but don't fret if you are a fan of former president Dwight D. Eisenhower and his love affair with Augusta. His memory lives on at Augusta National and around Augusta:
EISENHOWER CABIN: Built in 1953 by a group of 50 Augusta National members who bought building certificates, the cabin was built to specifications of presidential security. Secret Service agents occupied the bottom floor, while the Eisenhower family had the rest of the spacious cabin to themselves during visits. Numerous family mementos are still in place, and the cabin is available to club members for use.
IKE'S POND: Now an integral part of the Par-3 course, the spring-fed pond occupies three acres. During his second visit to AugustaNational, Eisenhower was walking on the eastern part of the property and discovered what he thought would be an ideal spot for a fish pond. Eisenhower told Clifford Roberts about his discovery - he even had a suggestion for where the dam should be located - and the pond was promptly built.
EISENHOWER CRACKER BARREL: Located in the pro shop, the barrel was presented by George M. Humphrey in 1957. Humphrey was a member of Eisenhower's Cabinet and was a fellow club member. The inscription reads: ``This wood was part of the White House roof erected about 1817 and removed in 1927.'' Plenty of other Eisenhower items are scattered throughout the clubhouse.
CHURCH TRIBUTE: At Reid Memorial Presbyterian Church in Augusta, Eisenhower usually sat on the third pew on the left, facing the altar. Across the aisle, a stained glass window features a likeness of him in a scene depicting the three wise men offering gifts to the baby Jesus. After Eisenhower's death, Reid honored the former president with a plaque on the pew where he and his family sat. Also at the service Feb. 6, 1972, the Redemption Window, in the church's balcony, was dedicated to his memory.