No. 16 - Redbud
Par 3 170 yards
This par-3 requires anything from a short- to medium-iron shot. The green is the holes main defense; being below the hole is a must. The back bunker and a pond on the left also pose hazards.
Significant changes since opening
- Stream in front of green transformed into a pond, 1947
About the plant
- Deciduous flowering tree
- Blooms March to May; clusters of small orchid-pink blooms before new heart-shaped leaves appear; followed by long seed pods
- Called Judas tree based on myth that Judas Iscariot hanged himself on the related Cercis siliquastrum
Where and how the plant grows
- Native to Eastern U.S.
- Grows 20 to 30 feet high and 15 to 25 feet wide
- Full sun to shade (in Southern zones)
- Moist, well-drained, fertile soil
- High drought tolerance
- Propagation by seed