No. 18 - Holly
Par 4 465 yards
The closing hole has become a 465-yard challenge with the extension of the tee in 2002. An accurate drive is a must, and an expanded bunker complex requires a clout of 335 yards to carry. Trees to the left of the bunkers prevent a bailout on that side, and the elevated green is guarded by bunkers.
Significant changes since opening
- Double bunker constructed left of fairway landing area, 1967
- Tee moved back 55-60 yards and moved to the golfer's right five yards, 2002
- Bunker complex adjusted, 2002
About the plant
- Deciduous, flowering tree
- Dioecious evergreen tree with spiny, dull green leaves
- From March to June, male and female bear inconspicuous green or white flowers.
- Female yields bright red poisonous berries in winter, if male is also present.
Where and how the plant grows
- Grows to 35 to 50 feet high and 15 to 25 feet wide
- Shade tolerant
- Moist, well-drained, acidic, sandy soil
- High drought tolerance
- Propagation by cuttings