No. 5 - Magnolia
Par 4 455 yards
The deep fairway bunkers on the left require a carry of 315 yards around the dogleg. Large humps in the green make it a challenging putting surface.
Native to Southeastern U.S.; state tree of Mississippi; state flower of Louisiana .
Significant changes since opening
- Fairway bunkers extended about 80 yards toward the green, 2003.
About the plant
- Evergreen tree with 5- to 8-inch-long leathery oblong leaves
- Produces fragrant 10-inch white blooms in May and June
- Flowers are followed by cone-shaped fruit that yields small berries in late summer.
Where and how the plant grows
- All varieties can grow 60 to 80 feet tall and 30 to 40 feet wide.
- Full sun to partial shade
- Slightly acidic, well-drained soil
- Moderately drought tolerant
- Propagation by cuttings, grafting or seed